Thursday, September 11, 2008

Four Lakes Scuba Club

While I was manning my art booth at Our World Underwater scuba diving trade show in Chicago this past Feb., a business card was left in my “win a Turtle print” jar from a woman in Madison,Wi.
A few weeks after the show I received an email from her asking if I would like to be a guest speaker at one of their Four Lakes Scuba Club meetings to talk about how I combine my scuba diving and my art. Naturally I was flattered that someone thought my life story was of interest enough to talk to a group about it. On August 13 I made the two hour drive up to Madison and had a great time with the 20+ people who gathered to hear me talk. I showed them examples of my art and the sketchbooks that I use on my diving trips. I explained how I take underwater photographs, compose a painting and use either watercolor or oil paints on the decided subject. Being that the majority of them are also scuba divers, they could appreciate the beauty I see in the squirmy body of an octopus or the sweet face of an Angelfish.

An interesting question and answer session followed. It totally amazed me that what I think of my life as mundane and boring was fascinating to this group. I was very flattered.
I left them with a poem that I wrote and is posted on my Sept. 8th blog entry, “The Oceans Cry.”

I hope to see some of them when I am back in Chicago next February for the 39THAnnual Our World Underwater, the midwests largest consumer scuba diving trade show.





To purchase "Angel" or "Orange Octopus", email me at dvrbon@wi.rr.com
These paintings can be seen on my website : http://www.bonnielynnsart.com/OceanColorsFishes.html
http://www.bonnielynnsart.com/OceanColorsCritters.html

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

You - mundane and boring? I don't think so.

I saw your "primitive" fish and turtle paintings at the gallery. They are awesome to see up close.

Stephanie Amos said...

I think creating your work from life experiences is fascinating.