Monday, February 2, 2009

Palette knife Queen Angelfish

While working on a new 12"x12" painting on Thursday of a Queen Angelfish, I had one of my larger bristle brushes between my teeth sideways. The brush was loaded with beautiful bright cadmium yellow oil paint. As Murphy's law would have it, I dropped the brush right smack dab onto my nearly finished painting. Instead of brushing out the blob of paint and risking smearing it around, I took a small palette knife and tried to lift it off. In the process, it made a very cool mark on the fish. Even though it would mean changing the order of how I had originally painted it, I decided to keep going with it and see what would happen. I ended up re-working the whole painting and am actually ok with the results.

I wish I had had time to take a photo of the first version before the brush fell on it so that you could see the comparison.


Queen Angelfish, 12"x12" oil painting, $140.00, http://www.bonnielynnsart.com/OceanColorsNewestPaintings.html To purchase, email me at dvrbon@wi.rr.com



2 comments:

Laura Rodgers said...

Bonnie it looks wonderful. I think the best part of art is the experience. Sometimes the experience is a surprise! : ) Laura

Anonymous said...

Laura,
Thank you for comment !
You are right.......the best part IS the experience and the process.