Friday, July 16, 2010

Sketchbook Project Tour 2011

A sketchbook is a place to put down your heart and soul.

There is a website called Art House Co-op.  It is based out of Brooklyn, NY.  Every year they have a sketchbook tour open to anyone from all over the world. 

You purchase an 80 page small sketchbook from them, chose a theme from a list they provide, and then when they mail you the sketchbook with a UPC code on it, you have a time limit to fill it and return it to them.  You can draw, color, write poetry, paste pictures............anything you want, just so you fill it and do not change the dimensions of the book.  The sketchbooks then go on tour to 6 major cities around the United States, and people can check them out just like a library book with the UPC code. When they return to Brooklyn, NY, they are put into the Brooklyn Art Library as part of a permanent collection.

I have heard about this before, but never thought of doing it until now.  The theme I chose is "Below the Surface".  I am using it to educate people who do or do not have the opportunity to see what I have seen "below the surface" of the ocean.
I am doing sketches, small watercolors, original poetry and whatever else I may think of that will  depict life under the sea.

I'll keep you posted as I progress with the sketchbook and let you now what cities it will be touring.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

This is such a cool idea. I don't think I will add this to my plate this year, but I'm really looking forward to seeing how you fill your sketchbook. You are so creative!

Bonnielynn said...

Thanks Liz. I think you could really make a cool sketchbook with your botanics.